An independent disciplinary commission has handed Southampton the most severe penalty after the club admitted to three counts of spying on opposition teams.
To make matters worse for the Saints, whose halo has certainly slipped, they have been handed a four-point deduction for next season.
The EFL have charged Southampton with watching Oxford United, Ipswich Town, and filming Middlesbrough training sessions.
Middlesbrough will be reinstated
Middlesbrough will be reinstated for the play-off final on Saturday, often dubbed the most valuable football match in football, with the winners set to receive a minimum of £110 million in Premier League revenue.
The EFL said in a statement: "Southampton was first charged on Friday 8th May, with further charges issued on Sunday 17 May in relation to additional breaches during the 2025-26 season.
"Those additional charges arose from matters identified after the initial proceedings involving Middlesbrough were initiated.
"Southampton admitted breaches of regulations requiring clubs to act with the utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another club's training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.
"The admitted breaches concern fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026."
The final will continue as planned on Saturday, although Southampton do have the right to appeal against the commission's decision. They "are working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday, 20 May".
The statement continued: "The EFL is now in discussion with all three clubs regarding the implications of today's decision and will make a further announcement in due course."
Southampton had sold tickets for Saturday's games, and fans will now receive a full refund.
Southampton may appeal the decision tomorrow
However, the EFL have added that "subject to the outcome, [of the appeal] it could result in a further change to Saturday's fixture".
That will be slim consolation for Saints fans who have enjoyed the resurgence of a struggling team under Tonda Eckert after they had been languishing in the lower half of the table under Will Still.
Middlesbrough issued a statement which said they "welcome the outcome".
"We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct," it added.
"As a club, we are now focused on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday. Ticket information for our supporters will be available shortly."
The EFL are unable to sanction individuals involved in the spying, although the Football Association could issue charges against them.
The potential monetary value of today's sanction eclipses any seen before in English football.
